Technique and Tactics
Volume Discernment: The form-system of a style results from regulation and limitation; it is shape understanding. For technique, principle and tactics are law; this is depth understanding. In the event of physical conflict, it is difficult to know the opponent’s fighting style/system. In fighting, it is disadvantageous to not know one’s opponent. Moreover, the following formation figure shows that one may potentially face many different styles and opponents. Common sense of battle requires tactical knowledge. Therefore, the pursuit of technical principle and control of tactical law?beyond martial art style or the framework of fighting system?is necessary.
不知己不知彼・毎戦必貽, 知彼而不知己・一勝一負, 知己亦知彼則・百戦不殆
Know not yourself, know not your enemy, and surely lose.
Know your enemy and know not yourself, and win half the time, lose half the time.
Know yourself and know your enemy, and never lose in 100 conflicts.
(1) How does one determine the combat style of an unknown opponent?
(2) What is the basis to classify a combat style into long, middle, and short range?
(3) Technical composition of long range conflict, tactical system, and coping method.
(4) Technical composition of middle range conflict, tactical system, and coping method. ?
(5) Technical composition of close range conflict, tactical system, and coping method.